Friday, September 12, 2014

Slick Operator

Wednesday Advertising Day.

As someone who likes to buy complete reeditions of newspaper strips, I never got the Fearless Fosdick collection Denis Kitchen put out a couple of yeras ago, because I figured I had them covered in my complete run of Al Capp's Li'l Abner daily reprint books. I kept running into Fosdick ads for Wildroot and wondering if those were included in the books as wel. I have since gotten the impression they weren't and that's too bad - somehow the combination of an over the top Dick Tracey parody with a men's hair oil advertisement makes it all even more silly. I scanned and clipped one here and there, but never seemed to find a way to check which ones I did and did not have. Some time ago I ran into a longer run of weekly ads and clippe them one after the other. Maybe someday someone will make a more complete list of these ads and look how long they ran (and where). The first one here is from a magazine, so they were all over the place. Maybe I should start collecting them.

1 comment:

Ger Apeldoorn said...

The vertically stacked one is obviously assisted/drawn by Frank Frazetta, by the way.