Wednesday, January 28, 2015

I Love You, Beetle

Tuesday Comic Strip Day.

Over the last couple of months I scanned and cleaned up a new set of Beetle Bailey Sunday pages from the fifties. The quality of this series never ceases to amaze me. I got a copy of the 1963/1964 edition of the Scandinavian complete collection (the whole series in thirty two year books) and apart from the fact that I can't read it, I was blown away all over again. The American company Checker did the first of the Scandinavin volumes in English (downsizing the format by 40%) covering 1950/52. That didn't sell enough, after which Titan did a couple of one year volumes covering 1964/66 (the years the strip really took off, skipping over the best years just before that) which didn't sell either. So now Beetle Bailey has a 30 volume reprint series in three Scandinavian countries and nothing in the US. I like people visiting here to see all the cool stuff, but couldn't you have bought just one of these? Ah, well. Don't alienate your audience, Ger. Enjoy these. As I said, the best years are 1958 to 1964 in my opinion. It isn't to late for a collection.

No comments: